NAAEE Guidelines for Excellence: Best Practices in EE
The Guidelines for Excellence in Environmental Education is a national program to increase the quality of environmental education through creating balanced, scientifically accurate, and comprehensive programs. The North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) has produced a set of documents that guide and define excellence in environmental education. Formulating guidelines for the highest quality environmental education has gained credibility for the field with congress and government agencies.
What are the Guidelines for Excellence?
In 1993, the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) developed a series of guidelines that set the standards for high-quality environmental education. Each of these publications was developed by a diverse team of professionals, and each has gone through a substantive review by thousands of professionals prior to its publication.
Each publication establishes guidelines for the development of balanced, scientifically accurate, and comprehensive environmental education programs. Quality environmental education programs help develop an environmentally literate citizenry that can compete in our global economy; has the skills, knowledge, and inclinations to make well-informed choices; and exercises the rights and responsibilities of members of a community.
The Guidelines for Excellence in Environmental Education are designed to:
- assist in the development and implementation of environmental education materials;
- improve nonformal environmental education programs;
- guide formal educators in concepts and materials needed in curricula to foster environmentally literate learners; and
- shape the professional development of educators.
- Environmental Education Materials: Guidelines for Excellence
- Non-formal Environmental Education Programs: Guidelines for Excellence
- Excellence in Environmental Education: Guidelines for Learning (K-12)
- Early Childhood Environmental Education Programs: Guidelines for Excellence
- Guidelines for the Preparation and Professional Development of Environmental Educators
- Community Engagement: Guidelines for Excellence
EEAO houses the Oregon training bureau for the Guidelines for Excellence in Environmental Education providing workshops and resources on these guidelines. We are working with Oregon's Environmental Literacy Program (OELP) team on trainings across the state and working with the Center for Diversity and the Environment on incorporating a diversity, inclusion, and equity lens to the guidelines trainings. Over the next couple of years, EEAO and OELP will also work together in creating a cadre of guideline trainers.
Interested in being involved? Contact us at (503) 919-7287.
Adopt the Guidelines
Join us in adopting the Guidelines for Excellence in Environmental Education at your organization. Your organization will be helping us in professionalizing and enhancing environmental education and its practices. By adopting the Guidelines, you are committing to:
- Promoting the Guidelines during conferences or other events you sponsor;
- Promoting the Guidelines in your publications;
- Actively reaching out to others and demonstrating how the Guidelines can help increase the quality of environmental education programs; and
- Using the Guidelines when developing programs, funding proposals, and requests for proposals and materials.
Contact us at (503) 919-7287 to learn more about the Guidelines for Excellence workshops or to request additional information.