Shaping the Collective Voice of EE in Oregon
Our mission is to cultivate environmental literacy and engagement among diverse community leaders. With the vision that Oregon communities are compassionately working together to create equitable connections to and expressions of the local and global environments.
We are striving to:
- Be the statewide advocate for environmental education in Oregon
- Enhance the professionalism of environmental education through networking, workshops, conferences, and regional meetings
- Strengthen the dynamic networks for environmental education from local level systems to complex international collaborations
Our primary functions are to:
- Collaborate with state level partners to ensure the inclusion of environmental education in related initiatives;
- Educate and assist EEAO affiliates in educating decision makers about the importance and relevance of environmental education;
- Serve as a liaison for environmental education between all systems levels from local to international;
- Establish and enhance collaborative environmental education networks throughout Oregon, the Pacific Northwest, the United States and internationally; and
- Support our members through professional development opportunities.
Our values are guiding us in the way we work:
- JUSTICE: We acknowledge environmental education is a segment of environmental justice and supports solutions that affirm the diverse strengths and needs of communities of color, low-income, and other marginalizations, ultimately strengthening our state as a whole.
- DIVERSITY: We accept that there are many ways to practice and define environmental education, and we celebrate the various experiences of individuals and communities.
- COLLABORATION: We welcome and engage in conversation with many voices and amplify the voices of marginalized communities to strengthen the environmental education community.
- COMMUNITY: We continually work on build relationships and establishing trust to provide opportunities for transformation individually, as an organization, and across the environmental education community.